Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Yummynis in a pan.

Pie. I don't really like to eat it. For some reason, it's just not enjoyable to me. But I do love to challenge myself, especially in the area of baking. So when it comes to making a good pie, I am all in!
The very first time I made my own pie crust, I nailed it. I had not one problem. My mom told me her stories of failing many times. The second time I made my own crust,  I completely failed. I ended up patting scraps in the pan. Many times like that have followed, but after much practice, most of the time now I am able to get a pretty good crust. From what I have heard, the most important thing to getting a yummy crust is keeping it cold. That is why I put the butter in the freezer until right before, and I use ice water. I find it best to freeze the dough, for at least 5 hours, then let it thaw, it is much easier to work with, because it will be a bit more wet. I try to always keep a few doughs in the freezer so that I can just pull one out whenever I like. Cause that is the kind of person I am :) Happy baking!

Starting with 2 1/2 cups flour in food processer.
2 stick of butter cut up in small pieces, and then stuck in the freezer, I was in a big hurry this time, so i did a rather sloppy job :(
Combine in food processor till it resembles course crumbs.

Have Ice water ready, I don't measure, just keep adding till it looks right.

Once the dough starts to stick together in SMALL clumps, it is ready. I pour it out on the counter and divide into two clumps.

Put clump on plastic wrap, and wrap up.

Flatten with a rolling pin, and put in the freezer till firm, about 30 mins.

Take skin of apples, and cut into small pieces.

Mix with Cinnamon, sugar and cornstarch.

Take crust out of freezer, flatten into circle, and fit into pan. This is the hardest part, but practice makes better :)

Fill with Apples.

Top with small pieces of butter.

Roll out second dough, and cut in long, thin slices.


Criss-cross over top, and trim edges.

Brush with egg youlks.
Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 400 for 20 mins.

Then at 350 for 1 hour and 45 mins.

All done!! :)

~Rebekah


No comments: