Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Goals and Strawberries.


Ok so I know the two don't seem to go together, but in my crazy life they do! Alot had been going on and I am sorry I have not been blogging much. My Aunt and Uncle arrived from OR this wednesday, and life has been crazy since! It is not slowing down anytime soon becasue my Grammy is arriving this Tue. We are trying to visit a ton of places here in DC while they are with us for two short weeks. On friday we did our first trip into DC (w/ them.) It was frezzing and raining (had not stopped yet either!) We went to the air and space museum and to the National gallery of Art. Both were intresting. My favorite thing at the air and space museum was the area on commercial planes. They had so many cool displays. Did you know that flight attendeds used to have to fit in these requirements???:
Female
5"2 to 5"6
less then 135
between 22-27
single, not widowed or divorced.

Wow!!! Anyways, flight attendents have certinly changed over the years! There were so many amazing pictures at the Gallery of Art, but we were not allowed to take any pics, so I can't share any of that with you guys (I get to keep it all to myself!) he he.

So, I am taking an amazing life skills class at my co-op here. What we have been talking about lately is managing our emotions, and it is just amazing what I have learned, so I wanted to share it all with you!
First of all, we have been learning about what causes emotions, have you ever thought about that? I mean really thought? Well luckily my teacher already thought it out for all of us :)
The main thing that causes an emotion is something happening to a goal. Any goal, at all, just a goal. Think about it, Anger is a goal being blocked,
Depression is a goal seeming out of reach. I was thinking about this, when I get mad at my brother for bugging me non-stop, what is the goal being blocked? Well peace and quiet, or a perfect little brother ;) This makes sense to me. So as now I have been praying that God will help me apply what I have learned in this class to my daily life. One way God has really helped me is to give me all sorts of wonderful thinking ideas. For example now when my mother reminds me to do something (nicley or not.) And I want to just shout at her, most of the time, I try to think "what if this was my future husband?" And if my brother comes up and asks me to show him something (that and it is a VERY convient time.) I try to think "what if this was my future child?" These are just some of the ways God has helped me control my horrible temper. Now I am sure not all of you reading this want to think about your future husband/children (and alot of you probally already have those) but I think that kind of thinking is a very good tool.

Another amazing thing I learned in my class. YOU ARE SPECIAL! Now I know we have all heard all of this, and we have probally all told it to other people. But my teacher explained it from the view of a teenager and I had never though if it like that before. She read the book "You are special" by Maz Lucado. Now most of you have probally read this, but even if you have please re-read it again after reading my blog :) My favorite part, and the the part that hit me the most: The Maker is talking to the little unwanted, unpopular doll. The doll asks him why "the sticker" (standing for men lifting and putting down of other men.) don't stick on his other friend anymore. Here is the makers reply:"Becasue she has decided that what I think of her is more important then what they think. The stickers only stick if you let them." WOW I mean WOW! If only every teenager in America could reliaze that :) So since then I have really been thinking, (especially when my mind tries to get me to get the approval of man) not to give in to this "game" the world plays with us, be different (ha ha were have we heard that before:) and stand out of Christ. His thoughts are truly, really the only ones that matter at all!

Now onto the strawberry part:) I made Strawberry bars today, I have found these in the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens (my favorite magozine.) I have made them a couple of times before but I decided to make them again. They were a huge hit, the only problem being how incredibly rich they are, and that is even with me cutting half the sugar this time! So if you try them, you might want to try tweaking with them a little, and please share w/ me your results!!! Here is a picture and the recipie, enjoy!
Fresh Strawberry Bars
Prep 25 mins, Bake: 25 mins
¾ cup butter
¾ cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ cup All purpose flour
½ cup strawberry jam
4 cups small whole strawberries

1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13 x 9 x 2 pan with foil extending beyond edges, set aside. Cut strawberries into quarters.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Veat in sugars, baking powder, and salt untill combined.. Ass eggs and vanilla, beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as your can with mixer, Stir in remaining flour.
3.Spread dough in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
4. Cool completely on rack. Remove from pan by lifting foil. Spread jam and top with berries. Cut into bars. Sear at once or refrigerate up to 6 hours.

Makes 24 bars.
Make Ahead: wrap the peanut butter base in foil.. Store at room temperature up to 24 hours. Before serving top with jam and berries, or freeze the peanut butt base in a freezer container up to 3 months.


enjoy!

No comments: