Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 6- San Diego to LA!

As the sun came up, and the birds started to chip this morning, we were out the door on our way to the train station! It was very sad to say goodbye to our first stop together, especially since every day we had spent in San Diego I fell more and more in love. But it was time to move on to our next adventure, and adventure is exactly what we got!
Lots of luggage on the bus :)

Our train ride from SD to LA went very smoothly this morning, but once we arrived we had to figure out the bus system to make it to the hotel. It took me about 30 minutes of using my Iphone and looking at maps and asking directions (and debating on whether we should get a taxi or not,) to finally find out where we needed to go. Then it was four transfers and two hours of bus riding ahead of us.  The first three transfers went smoothly, but when we arrived at our third and final transfer, the bus didn’t show. We waited for quite some time and then called the transportation center only to find out that the bus we were waiting on did not come to that stop. It was only 1.3 miles to our hotel, but 1.3 miles with 6 different bags and about 150 pounds of luggage is a very long 1.3 miles. We were going to walk it until I got the genius idea to call the hotel and see if they could come pick us up. They could, but it would be about 20 minutes. So for 20 minutes we sat on the curb, eating some Baskin Robins that we had picked up as we were sitting right in front of the store.

We finally got to the hotel, unpacked and settled in, and then it was off to Disneyland! The bus ride there was again, crazy. We found out that the day-bus passes we had bought only worked on Los Angeles county buses, and the 3 buses we needed to get to Disney were Fullerton county and Orange county. Despite buses being late and my Iphone messing up, we finally arrived at Disney late in the afternoon. 

We headed into Disneyland park, as we had dinner reservations there. We have stood in line for about 20 minutes for the Matterhorn, (and we probably have about 15 minutes left) when the speaker comes up and announces that there are some technical difficulties, and they have to shut down for at least 45 minutes. We decide to be one of the few people to actually wait, and we sit down and play would-you-rather for the time. It ends up starting up in just about 40 minutes, and after a very satisfactory ride we head towards our dinner reservations at the Café Orleans.

 I had looked up what Disneyland restaurant foodies recommend, and this was the main one. We ordered the Pommes fries, which we were told was a must, and they certainly did not disappoint. Rebekah got a chicken dish, that she said was just ok, and I got the Monte Cristo sandwich that is world famous. After the fries we were both pretty full, and when we saw our plates, we almost groaned. They could have each served quite a few people. My sandwich was turkey, ham and Swiss, coated in a light batter and fried. Then sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with a berry puree. Basically what it tasted like was a ham, turkey and Swiss sandwich wrapped in a funnel cake with a berry sauce to go on top. This may sounds utterly disgusting, and as I write this I can not believe I actually at it, but let me tell you, in some very strange way the flavor’s go together wonderfully! It was SO good. And I don’t think I am the only one who thought that because there were quite a few others who had ordered it!


After dinner we rode a few more rides, including Peter Pan which is one of my favorites! It is a simply kiddy ride, but it feels like you are really flying through the air on a ship, and it quite… magical. We headed over to California Adventure park to watch the Wonder of Colors show, which is magnificent. It is my favorite show at a Disney Park!

Finding Nemo being projected onto water in the World of Color show.

Then it was back over to DisneyLand park for another hour before closing. The lines were wonderfully short, and we basically did everything we wanted to do in Disneyland park! One of my favorite moments was riding Thunder Mountain Railroad at midnight. We were laughing, the whole roller coaster car was screaming and yelling and just having a good time. And it was midnight.

It's a Small World in one of the rides that we rode around 11pm. The outside was beautiful all lit up!

Now it is way to late for words, and we have quite the day going on tomorrow to, so I am going to sign out and hope I can wake up in the morning! Gooodnight from Los Angeles!

No comments: