Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 5- San Diego


Whew! Today started of with a relaxing morning hanging at the apartment with our host. Then we headed down to Point Loma University to check it out for Rebekah’s sister who is considering going there. 



The first thing that struck me about it is how gorgeous the campus was. Most of the campus overlooks the ocean, and you could feel the Ocean breeze all day long. 

The people there were really friendly, though the food was not the best I have had at a college. The dorms were very symmetrical, which make OCD me happy. There were so many flower's in bloom, it was exciting!





Over all, I think it was a beautiful campus, and if I were looking for a college that alone would put it in for the running. 

After that we walked a mile to a bus stop! At first I was like “really, a mile? We just walked all over a college campus for 3 hours!” But it was fine, because we walked through a bunch of really nice neighborhoods. One of the things I have noticed about San Diego is how different each house is. A very Victorian house is next to a barn house which is next to the most modern house you have ever seen. These neighborhoods were no exception! Also, one of the neighborhoods was on a big hill, and was over looking the San Diego harbor. Such a 
gorgeous view.


Once we finally did arrive at the bus stop we took it to Sea Port Village, a little quaint area on the water that our host had recommended. I am so glad she did! 







It had lots of cute little shops and bakeries, even a cupcake shop that sold fair trade coffee! (If you are wondering about fair-trade, talk to my sister.)




The village had a little peninsula that stuck out and people went fishing off of it, as well as a big grassy area that many people flew kites on. There was a guy there who sold kites, and had 2 of the biggest kites I have ever seen in my life!


My favorite shop in the village was an shop for Urban girls. It has so many amazing little treasures; from Toms, to Vera Bradley, to beads made by women in Uganda, even adorable handmade scarves!


There was a wooden toy store right next store, that I thought I would just glance through. But then there was this toy, that Rebekah had to show me. It was a little wooden bear that would walk up two strings just by you simply pulling the ends. It was really addicting, so I ended up getting one! If you don't understand what I am talking about, just come over to my house some time and try it out :) There was also a man who do a fire-breathing show. I didn't stay for that long but what I did stay for was very neat!



 After Sea Port Village, we headed to a little restaurant called Arrivederci. I had seen it while looking out the window as we rode on the bus last night, and I had thought it looked really good. I looked it up on Urbanspoon, and it had excellent reviews, so I decided if we didn’t find anywhere better we could go there. I am SO glad we did not find anywhere better! It is by far the best food we have had the whole trip. I am a lover of Italian food, and this Italian food was very, very good! We got the brucetta to start. Brucetta is probably my all time favorite appetizer and I order it a lot of places. The best brucetta I have ever had is at a little restaurant in Georgetown, DC called il Canale. Well I am pleased to say that the brucetta tonight came in a very close second! For my entrĂ©e I got the lobster ravioli, which the waiter said was really good. I was not disappointed one bit! I was just absolutely delicious and I am gladly awaiting lunch time tomorrow when I will get to finish up the leftovers!


Rebekah's dinner

My lobster ravioli

My sister is a Tiramisu conisor. Once we finally did arrive at the bus stop we took it to Sea Port Village, a little quaint area on the water that our host had recommended. I am so glad she did! It had lots of cute little shops and bakeries, even a cupcake shop that sold fair trade coffee! (If you are wondering about fair-trade, talk to my sister.). She always tries Tiramisu at ever restaurant that offers it, and so naturally I have tried a lot of Tiramisu along with her. I decided to order theirs’, and I am very glad I did! It was wonderful, not the best I have ever tasted, but again, close to the top! One thing that really made it stand out is that you could tell they made their whipped cream part in the middle themselves. Some Tiramisu’s we have tried use something that tastes just like cool whip, and it’s disgusting!


What another wonderful day in San Diego! I have definitely fallen in love with this city (especially it’s weather and beaches!) And I am going to be oh-so-sad when we have to say good bye tomorrow!





~Rebekah

No comments: