Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade graham crakers



I found a recipe online the other day for homemade graham crackers, and I just had to try it. If you know me at all, you know that I love to make as many things from scratch as possible. So of course, this was no exception.


The recipe is pretty simple, when you are looking at how much time you need to make it, just remember that you have to let the dough sit in the fridge for an hour before you roll it and bake it. I would say it took me about 1 1/2-2 hours to make them (excluding the hour of fridge time.)


For ingredients, you need:



12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
3 cups whole-wheat flour (the original recipe called for 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat, but they turned out just fine with all whole wheat.)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling on top
 
Beat butter, honey and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and mix.
Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix to combine.
Refrigerate dough for one hour (or longer).
Heat oven to 350Âș.
On a well-floured counter, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.(If you go any thicker, your crackers will seem more like cookies after they are baked). The rolling out part gets difficult. If your dough is like mine it is still super soft and sticks to EVERYTHING. What I found that works best is to put a little pile of flour on the counter, then make a ball out of some dough. Place the ball in the center of the flour, and then sprinkle more flour on top so the rolling pin won't stick. If that sounds crazy complicated, just look at the pictures below :) 
Cut out crackers with cookie cutters and transfer them to cookie sheets.    (I used a spatula. It really helped and kept them from falling apart.)
 Grease your cookie sheet well, or use parchment paper. (I just use parchment paper. They NEVER stick and it's easy to clean up. I use parchment paper to bake most of my cookies. It makes a big difference.)
Using a pastry brush dipped in water, lightly brush the tops of the crackers. Using a fork, poke holes in the crackers. (I was worried when I poked the holes that I poked too many. Don't worry, the holes barley show up.) Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the tops of the crackers.
Bake for 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool. The longer these sit, the more cracker-like they become, so they're best eaten after about 30 minutes, if you can wait that long.












Now let me just say, mine came out tasting a little more like cookies then crackers, I think this was for a few reasons. First of all, I don't think I rolled them out quite thin enough. Second, I baked one batch for 10 minutes and one for 15. The ones that were baked for 15 were a little bit harder and tasted much more like crackers. The ones that baked for 10 were just like cookies. I need to experiment a little more to see if I can get the right cracker feel. 


Original recipie here.

I hope you enjoy! let me know if you make them!

~Rebekah





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you are amazing! : ) I am fascinated that you did this! Incredible. I never even thought about it. Do you think they would be yummy with marshmallow and chocolate insie? :) I have a friend that makes homeade marshmallows. I don't know anyone that makes homeade chocolate though. Have a happy weeke Rebekah!