Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cooking for ten-And other random things

These past few days we have been hosting a family of 9 at our house. I had a blast. I also learned a lot. Cooking for 10 definitely takes some extra time, and a little extra effort. But I found it to be very fun.  The first night I made two different types of Frozen lasagna and some baked yellow squash and zucchini. The second night took a little more time, but I found it much yummier (besides, I always like to cook as fresh as I possibly can!) The second night I made lemony steamed chicken with asparagus and sweet potatoes. The latter two were easy as I just tossed them with some olive oil and salt and then baked at 400 (with the chicken for about 20 mins.) The origin of my thinking came from this: recipie. I wanted to make fish for dinner, but when neither of the two stores I went to had good looking fish, I decided to go with chicken breast. I basically used the a couple of different ideas and threw them together. Here is what I did. It was simple, easy, and oh so yummy!

Take the chicken breast and cut two slits in it so that you can stuff some spices in.
I used these spices:
Chopped onion (fresh)
garlic (I didn't have any fresh)
Parsley
a sprinkle of paprika
generous amounts of lemon pepper
salt
some olive oil
and a squirt of lemon juice.

I placed it on a foil square, and rubbed all the spices in, then I folded the square up around the chicken to make a sort of packet, and then I stuck it in the oven at 375. (About 35 minutes for the boneless, and 50 for the bone in.)

A few other things I learned while cooking..
if you are wearing a shirt with ruffles on it, when you eat crumbly foods (like popcorn, rice and cupcakes) make sure you dust out the ruffles. ;)
Cumin is wonderful for coloring things, even when you don't want them colored. Like your white shirt, or your white stove, or even your beige floors. And Cumin takes a LONG time to scrub out. So beware next time you put your Cumin towards the front of your spice cabinet.

The spices


 The table before
 And after




And just a picture I liked :)


~Rebekah

1 comment:

Patti said...

such a sweet blog, and you are quite a photographer!