Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I remember

That day. That day I was at the gym, my mom was teaching a class, and we were in the daycare center. I remember my mom coming in.. acting like something was wrong. We left. We drove home, because we lived on an annex of the base at the time, we almost didn't get in our neighborhood. The gate guards were locking it down. I remember sitting at home, seeing to buildings burning. A lot of firefighters. Then a plane. Now 2 buildings. What was happening? My 7 year old brain did not understand it. We tried to go to the zoo that afternoon. We eventually made it, but almost every exit was closed off the free-way. We later found out the president had been at our base.  That day was sad. All I knew at the time that a lot was happening in places far-away, that was effecting my world as soon as an hour later. It was scary. I remember flying after that. Nothing was the same. All this security. No more walking Grammy to the gate. But I also remember mom being thankful. Thankful that my dad was not TDY at the time. Thankful that he was not in the pentagon. Thankful that God had blessed us with that much. But also sad. So many people had lost family and friends. And so I just thank God. First for protecting a lot of us, even though so many precious lives were lost, many were safe. A lot thanks to those souls on United flight 93. And second for my dad, and my grandpa, and my mom, and the so many of my other friend's parents and family that have committed their life to serving our country.

So here is too our country. Though terrorists my strike, though economies may crash. We are still who we are. 

God Bless the United States of America.


~Rebekah



No comments: