Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I delight

I am in Aspen. I have been having an amazing time. I have been doing just about everything I like to do, and almost nothing I don't like doing. 
I have been getting up early, I have been getting children out the door, I have been on a schedule. I have been surrounded with children at all times. I have been able to have control over a lot of things in my days. I have not been doing much school. I have been having little smiling faces around me all day. I have been carrying a baby on my hip half the day. I have been cleaning. I have been cooking. I have been helping other women that I look up to. I have had time with just adults, and adult conversation. I have been texting with friends. I have been eating wonderful food. 


All of the above give me wonderful Joy. Every single thing. I will admit some of the things, (like cleaning) I do occasionally get tired of, but not very often. Today, for the third morning in a row, I finished cleaning the kitchen, and got out the vacuum to clean the rug under the table. As I was starting to move all the chairs, this task, which I had honestly loved doing the last two mornings, started to seem tedious. And that started a train of thinking which has been running through my mind all day.... what is Joy? How do I have joy all the time?


Well first here is a couple quotes that I found, and really like:
Joy lies in the fight, in the attempt, in the suffering involved, not in the victory itself
Mahatma Gandhi



Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.


So. What is true Joy? how do I find it? Well, as I have been thinking about it all day, one main thought keeps coming back to me. Especially after vacuuming this morning. It is:
This is Joy. Not that we are happy while doing things we delight in, but that we search for delight in everything. In every small task, in every hardship, and in the happy times. And that God, be our first, true, source of Joy.
This is what I am striving for, and I can only accomplish with the grace of God.

~Rebekah

No comments: